Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:17:31 +0200

> There is no problem doing calculations on copies. With "apply" I mean
> applying the calculated sizes to Emacs windows.

That's what a function `apply-new-window-sizes' would be for.

>>> Then I assume that window configurations must be used to get my
>>> suggestion to work. The drawback I see then is that window pointers
>>> migh gets lost. Are there any way around that?
>> Which window pointers get lost?
>
> I thought that using window configurations you create new windows
> instead of the old ones when restoring the configuration into the
> frame. Is not that how it works?

Doing `set-window-configuration' within the old frame resurrects the old
windows.

> If it is then some elisp code might have pointers to the windows.

The complete window structure is saved within the configuration together
with a pointer to the window.  This also means that the respective
windows can't be GCed as long as a pointer to the configuration exists.

> Thanks. What would be the corresponing divider in Emacs? I mean a mode
> line for example takes one screen line and would take some space ... -
> and then perhaps it will not fit...

One item on my wishlist are horizontal and vertical dividers I can
display independently from modelines and/or scrollbars.  When I
currently want to drag a vertical divider with the mouse I have to do it
from a fringe :-(

martin