Re: obsolete selective-display ?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: obsolete selective-display ?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:44:59 -0400

> I use "C-x $" quite a lot in certain use-cases of my workflow.  If

I think the C-x $ part of selective-display is a separate issue.

This said, just declaring selective-display obsolete will not help your
bidi work, because obsolete doesn't mean "not implemented any more".
So to be more useful, we should not only declare it obsolete, but (as
you suggest) reimplement an emulation of it using invisible overlays.
Using jit-lock-register, it might not be that hard to do (the most
difficult part will be to make it perform well, which will require not
only to add overlays lazily but to remove them promptly as well; tho
even better would be to provide a new implementation of overlays which
doesn't suffer from the O(N) and O(N^2) problems).

        Stefan