Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 13:28:43 -0400

On Sep 5, 2009, at 10:35 AM, CHENG Gao wrote:
I can not find anywhere in my postings that advertises support of 10.3.

OK, thanks for clarifying - apologies for any misunderstanding.

developer resources are very scarce, and since YAMAMOTO-san already
spent efforts to get it working across whole MACOSX line (except 10.0
and 10.1), I think it's good thing to get it merged into TRUNK. Anyway
supporting as many platforms is always good thing.

It's not a good thing because it takes up people's time that could be spent better elsewhere. It's difficult to support old platforms when newer APIs can be used. There are going to be more conditionals in the code, which makes it less readable. People will be less likely to submit patches for these reasons.

Again: would it be possible to mix and merge parts of the ports, e.g. use YM's event handling code, which is possibly (!) superior? I have seen a number of unexplained crashes with the Nextstep port which usually occur somewhere in the event handling code. I don't know if this is the possible bug that Yamamoto-san pointed out a few times. I would also like to try out the grand central dispatch method within the NextStep port.