Re: CEDET branch

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: CEDET branch
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 08:15:29 -0400

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 21:22 -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> David Engster <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > While playing around with the new branch, a few things popped up:
> >
> > * I am wondering how the basic CEDET setup should work now, since
> >   semantic-load.el is not in the branch. In cedet.el, I read I should
> >   use
> >
> >    (setq semantic-load-turn-useful-things-on t)
> >    (require 'cedet)
> >
> >   However, this does not enable the semanticdb database, which has still
> >   to be activated through
> >
> >    (global-semanticdb-minor-mode 1)  ,
> >
> >   otherwise not much will work.
>
> Thanks for spotting this.  I'll work on a fix.
>
> I wonder, though, whether the merged version of CEDET should provide a
> different method for activating CEDET.  The out-of-tree version requires
> you to put something like
>
>     (setq semantic-load-turn-useful-things-on t)
>     (require 'cedet)

That commentary was apparently written a very long time ago.  The
semantic load feature set has command such as:

(semantic-load-enable-minimum-features)
(semantic-load-enable-code-helpers)
(semantic-load-enable-gaudy-code-helpers)

which are handy, or a user can turn on the misc features one at a time.

The 'minimum features' is actually a list of two minor modes
(semanticdb, and the idle scheduler), plus some code to load in caches
which is only needed when trying to combine with ebrowse.

The idea of a 'cedet' mode is something I'd been contemplating for a
while.  Even though CEDET is "one" collection of tools, each individual
tool (ede, semantic, srecode, etc) is treated independently.
Configuring cross-dependencies between these tools can be confusing, or
so I guess from the questions I see.

Having one master name (cedet) as an interface controlling all the parts
so users don't need to see the individual names might be a boon for
getting configurations working.  The current name set is useful for
development where being specific is needed.

I updated the cedet.el comments to reflect the 'new way' of configuring
things.

Eric