[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:39:46 -0400
The `cedet-branch' branch now contains all the major components of
CEDET: EIEIO, the Semantic parser, Srecode, and EDE. The latter two are
not tested extensively yet.
If you have not taken a look at this branch, now would be a good time,
as I plan to migrate this code to the trunk soonish. As most of the
code is now in place, please feel free to suggest patches and changes to
Here are some remaining problems on which opinions are welcome:
1. How to activate CEDET? In the upstream code, just loading the CEDET
libraries changes your Emacs environment, e.g. it adds mode hooks
that start the Semantic parser whenever you visit a parser-supported
file. A built-in Emacs package cannot behave like this, so in this
part of the code we must diverge from upstream.
I have added a minor mode called semantic-mode to deal with this
problem for Semantic (which is the main offender). All the Semantic
parser mode hooks are moved from top-level into this minor mode.
This minor mode also toggles some of the minor modes that come with
Semantic. The affected modes are in the `semantic-default-submodes'
variable. So customizing this variable takes the place of the
hairy methods (involving names like semantic-load-turn-everything-on,
semantic-load-enable-code-helpers, etc.) used upstream, which again
are not suitable for a built-in package.
2. I would like to make it possible to enable the different parts of
CEDET using the menu-bar. However, CEDET offers too many knobs to
fit in any of our existing menus, so it probably needs its own
top-level menu. One possibility is to add a "toggle CEDET" menu item
to the Tools menu, which adds or removes a "CEDET" top-level menu.
But this is not "standard menu-bar behavior"-ish. Thoughts?
3. Semantic contains a package called Senator, which modifies many of
the standard Emacs commands to use the parser information. For the
built-in version of Semantic, we should probably fold some of this
functionality into the rest of Emacs. As an example, I made a change
to the `complete-symbol' function (bindings.el) so that if Semantic
is running, it will call semantic-complete-symbol (a modified version
of senator-complete-symbol that uses standard completion functions).
I think `find-tag' can be dealt with similarly. The question is,
what do we do with Senator ? Should we keep a compatibility package,
drop it, or what? Again, opinions welcome.
- CEDET update,
Chong Yidong <=
- CEDET update, Nick Roberts, 2009/09/21
- Re: CEDET update, Chong Yidong, 2009/09/21
- Re: CEDET update, Nick Roberts, 2009/09/22
- Re: CEDET update, Chong Yidong, 2009/09/22
- AW: CEDET update, Berndl, Klaus, 2009/09/23
- AW: CEDET update, Nick Roberts, 2009/09/23
- Re: AW: CEDET update, Chong Yidong, 2009/09/23
- tree-buffer.el [was Re: AW: CEDET update], Glenn Morris, 2009/09/23
- AW: tree-buffer.el [was Re: AW: CEDET update], Berndl, Klaus, 2009/09/24
- Re: CEDET update, Eric M. Ludlam, 2009/09/22