Re: advice needed for multi-threading patch

From: Giuseppe Scrivano
Subject: Re: advice needed for multi-threading patch
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 00:23:04 +0200

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> I think we need to yield when a thread is waiting for I/O.  And, we
> probably need a way to associate a process filter with a thread, so that
> whatever input Gnus gets is processed in the right thread.

I did some changes today.  Now a thread exits from the global lock
before calls `select' and it enters again immediately after `select'
returns, leaving other threads free to do their job.

Blocking operations affect only the caller thread.  As direct effect,
now this is enough:

  (run-in-thread '(gnus))

and gnus will be loaded in the background, without explicitly call
`yield'.

Cheers,
Giuseppe