Re: CEDET merge

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: CEDET merge
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:20:05 +0100

Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'm no expert, but according to Eli, having files longer than 8+3
>> in the tarball leads to problems unpacking the tarball on DOS, and
>> other problems on some versions of Windows:
>
> Supporting such antediluvian platforms is nice as long as it's
> possible without too much effort. But if it becomes too much of a
> burden one should reconsider if it's worthwhile (IMHO).

antediluvian. Windows. Well, maybe, but on which of the platforms on
which Emacs runs does it have the most users? Come the revolution, we
FOSSers can drop compatibility hacks but until then, comrades, I'm
afraid we'll have to keep making allowances for those still in chains.

Rupert

(Who didn't write that last sentence grinning. Of course not)