Re: update-subdirs and lisp/term

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: update-subdirs and lisp/term
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:19:15 +0200

On Sep 26, 2009, at 11:03 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Let me put it another way: why would it be a good idea to put lisp/term
in update-subdirs?
To avoid a special case that someone could trip on.  Every other
subdirectory gets subdirs.el created in it, but term does not.
The CEDET subdirectories will also lack subdirs.el. In fact, you agreed to it yourself, as a solution to the 8+3 filename restriction for CEDET,
remember?

BTW, if the Org people want to use a similar trick, I'd be happy to add
`org' to the list of exceptions that aren't added to load-path (so all
the files lisp/org/org-foo.el can be renamed lisp/org/foo.el and then
loaded via (require 'org/foo)).

Nice.  I wish I had known this 2 year ago when I was really
struggling with some of those 8+3 filenames.

For now we are fine, but thanks for the offer.

- Carsten