Re: delete-windows-on

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: delete-windows-on
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 18:51:54 +0200

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 18:47, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1. What "default buffer"? No such default is defined/implemented here, AFAICT.

My mistake.

s/default/current/

> 2. Besides, it is not the purpose of `delete-windows-on' to determine whether
> the BUFFER arg in fact corresponds to an existing buffer or someone just
> fucked
> up. Its purpose is to delete a window (or do nothing).

No. Its purpose is to "[d]elete all windows showing BUFFER-OR-NAME."
An incorrect BUFFER-OR-NAME is an error.

> a. What to return, and whether the return value is significant (hence
> documented) or the function is instead called only for its side effect.

In general, I prefer functions that clearly state what do they return,
even if it is always nil.

> b. What to do when BUFFER does not represent a buffer. Raise an error? Do
> nothing?

Raise an error, IMHO.

> Whatever choice is made, the documentation should reflect it.

I agree.

> Please read the entire mail I sent.

Unnecessary. The fact that I only answer about *one* point of your
message does not mean that I didn't read or understood the rest. It
just means that I was interested in addressing just *one* point of
your message.

    Juanma