Re: CEDET merge

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: CEDET merge
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 22:30:54 -0400

On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 21:44 -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> "Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> Building in EDE should now work---provided Semantic is enabled from the
> >> start.  We still need to provide a way for SRecode to call Semantic to
> >> parse the template buffer, when Semantic is not currently enabled (this
> >> functionality will be useful for other parts of Emacs too).
> >
> > Semantic can parse files even if all the other related utilities are
> > never enabled.  As long as srecode-template-mode sets up the parser info
> > itself, and not in the new "semantic-mode", then it can use the Semantic
> > API to parse buffers during template compilation without interfering
> > with someones desire to not enable Semantic parsing and utilities in
> > other files, like C++ mode.
>
> How about this:
>
> In the Emacs-integrated version of Semantic, we semantic-new-buffer-fcn
> so that it runs the mode-dependent parser setup functions before doing
> anything else.  This is as opposed to running the parser setup functions
> from the mode-hooks, as your upstream code does, or in the body of
> semantic-mode, as the Emacs version currently does.  So, when srecode
> calls semantic-new-buffer-fcn, the right setup will take place.
>
> What do you think?

I think I have failed to understand the above.

Does the Emacs integrated CEDET no longer use mode-local to call
semantic-new-buffer-fcn?  That could be good news.  The hooks available
in Emacs to detect a change in major mode for mode-local.el have been
challenging to get right, and I think they can still sometimes not work
right.

I did fail to explain in my paragraph above that mode-local.el would
need to be active for any files to be parse-able.  I was referring to
semanticdb, and semantic-idle features do not need to be enabled for
SRecode to be able to parse/compile template files.  As you point out,
the semantic-new-buffer-fcn does need to run, and the mode-local
settings need to be active for semantic to parse stuff.

Is there a desire to have srecode parse/compile template files while
leaving mode-local inactive?  Does mode-local get activated with
semantic-mode?  Perhaps I should check out a fresh copy of
Emacs to better understand.  I've been worried of doing so because I
know I'll then need to also figure out how to enable my CEDET distro
shadowing the Emacs version, and I don't really want to do that work.

Eric