Re: Changes in lisp/Makefile.in to skip preloaded files

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Changes in lisp/Makefile.in to skip preloaded files
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:33:35 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> P.S.  I generally find any Make or shell/Sed trickery misplaced in
> Emacs Makefiles, since we have the full power of Emacs at our
> fingertips.  Portability is one obvious advantage, but more
> importantly, it sounds right, in the context of building Emacs, to use
> Emacs itself wherever we can.  Otherwise, we appear as not believing
> in the tool we are developing.  Don't you agree?

Well, of course that's only true if a built emacs is available at the
point of invocation.  Also, the elisp code to do a given text munging
job is often quite a bit longer, because sed is designed specifically to
do certain tasks very concisely.

-Miles

--
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.  -- Steven Wright