Re: allow C-x v i / C-x v v to create a repository if none is available

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: allow C-x v i / C-x v v to create a repository if none is available
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:18:15 -0400

> When doing C-x v i or C-x v v on an unregistered file that is in a
> directory not under any version control, the file will be registered
> with RCS.  That is not exactly what most users want.

Very good point.  In the past, there wasn't much choice anyway since
creating a CVS repository required a lot more work, but indeed, with
current DVCS such a behavior makes sense again.

Now, most relevant backends will also want to know where you want to put
the root of your new repository.  Should we let the backend function
`create-repo' prompt for this, or should we move it to the generic part
of the code?  You seem to have taken the first choice, whereas I'd lean
towards the second.

        Stefan