Re: Completions in Semantic

From: Lluis
Subject: Re: Completions in Semantic
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:58:40 +0200

Just as a side-note, now that you've raised the topic of a completion interface.

I don't know about the features of current code, but I miss some features on
some (if not all) the completion interfaces I've tested. So here's a list of
(my) desired features (all of which should be configurable by the user):

- symbol name
  Of course, this is what already provides every completion UI
- extra information
  This can be filled ub with symbol "metadata". Which metadata appears on the
  completion UI should be configurable by the user:
    - return type
    - arguments (type and/or name)
    - definition location (aka file)
    - short documentation
    - long documentation
  All this metadata should be located anywhere around the symbol name and/or the
  minibuffer (e.g., I think company-mode shows short documentation on
  minibuffer, until user presses F1, when full documentation is shown.
  Some metadata might be shown in the minibuffer after completion selection
  (e.g., prototype).
- result narrowing
  A-la company-mode.
- argument placeholders
  So that argument type and/or name is shown as placeholders, such that the user
  simply TABs (or whatever) to fill-in the blanks.

In any case, I've recently jumped into Emacs, so my elisp coding abilities are
still quite low...

Read you,
    Lluis

 Tollbooth