Re: Overalays and point-entered

From: Nathaniel Flath
Subject: Re: Overalays and point-entered
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:03:36 -0400

This may be a good solution.  What are your thoughts, Stefan?

Nathaniel

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> Now, what the behavior should be upon C-x o or C-x b is again somewhat
> unclear: for C-x b, actually I think it's pretty clear that it should
> run the hook (which is a vote in favor of per-window data), but for "C-x
> o" it's less clear: running the hook would often be a good idea, but
> would mean that it's somewhere between difficult and impossible to let
> the user go to the *Completions* buffer to select an entry with
> choose-completion.

It seems like it would be easier to handle the subtle variations among a
variety of cases if there were simply hooks for each type of movement --
one which is per-buffer, and only cares about point position, one which
runs when a window becomes selected/deselected (C-x o case), and one
which runs when a buffer is attached/detached from a window (C-x b case).

Then the programmer could add hooks to handle which things he cared
about, without having them be inadvertently triggered in cases he
doesn't care about.

-miles

--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."