Re: How to recognize keyboard insertion?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: How to recognize keyboard insertion?
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:19:23 +0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 05:24:44 +0000
From: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden

If OTOH you wanted to find out whether the code a keypress returns under the current os layout actually corresponds to the glyph printed on the keyboard, you can't really

Isn't there some API to get the key's symbol, rather than the
character it produced?

There are only properties of the logical os keyboard layout available, not the physical keyboard. If I set my os keyboard layout to "US", there's presently no way for the computer to interrogate my keyboard to find out I really have "£" printed above 3 not "#" despite my os keyboard layout setting. It'll just have to take my word for it that I've got a US keyboard. Keyboards just don't say "I am physically british layout" down the wire to the computer. They easily could and probably should, but don't.