Re: New interactive spec

From: Didier Verna
Subject: Re: New interactive spec
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:42:03 +0100

[ Added xemacs-beta to the discussion ]

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I've recently modified the behavior of switch-to-buffer in XEmacs so
>>> that the completion mechanism doesn't include the current buffer. In
>>> doing so, I figured it would be generally useful to have an
>>> interactive spec for that (meaning "a buffer except the current
>>> one"). I was thinking g/G because that's the next thing available to
>>> us, but I'm wondering if GNU Emacs already uses it, or if you'd have
>>> another suggestion.
>
>> "G" is already taken, but "g" would be free.
>
>>   G -- Possibly nonexistent file name, defaulting to just directory
>>        name.
>
> How important is it to have a letter for it?

  Is this question directed to Tassilo (about G) or to me ?

If it's to me: it is not critical to have a letter (I'd like both upcase
and downcase BTW) for it. It just seems that it could be generally
useful. In the core of XEmacs I can see several functions that could use
it: append|prepend|copy-to-buffer, clone-indirect-buffer[-other-window]
and view-buffer[-other-window].

But now that I think about it, I'm starting to realize that every
interactive call using b and providing the current buffer as the default
one could avoid completing to the current buffer altogether because you
just need to type RETURN to get it. So maybe I should modify the b
specification instead...

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com