Emacs commands for BTS on Debian (Re: New bug tracker server)

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Emacs commands for BTS on Debian (Re: New bug tracker server)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:34:09 -0500

[Sent this yesterday, but never saw it appear, so I subscribed to send
it again.]

Chong Yidong wrote:

> I have set up the new bugtracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  At the moment, it
> contains a copy of the emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com bug database extracted
> a few minutes ago (including the spam), plus a couple of test messages.
>
> Please test this server out.  If there are no problems over the next day
> or so, I will resync to emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com, and we can begin the
> process of moving to this server (and cleaning up some of the spam).
>
> Who handled redirecting the Emacs bugs mailing list the last time?  Are
> there any pitfalls in the redirection that I should be aware of?

The following might be convenient for Emacs developers who use Debian or
a Debian-based environment. The Debian packages `debian-el' and
`dpkg-dev-el' now have the Emacs commands:

`emacs-bug-get-bug-as-email':
  To fetch a bug report archive and read it via email. Makes replying
  easy. I use MH-E but other Email mail programs should work.

`emacs-bts-control'
  To compose email messages to control@ with proper command completion.

`emacs-bug-web-bug'
  (Trivial) Opens a bug number in a web page via browse-url.

I did the upload before I found the above information about the move to
debbugs.gnu.org so the current release (30.11-1) uses
emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com; should I change that to debbugs.gnu.org
immediately?

The commands are trivially built on top on the Debian BTS access
commands, and it would require a bit of work to split it out and remove
all the Debian quirks.  I have not yet ported any menus (i.e. "Bugs" and
"Debian-Bug") although I am not even sure they are relevant.

Thanks,
Peter