Re: crash in delete_window

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: crash in delete_window
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:11:51 +0100

> I just had a crash in delete_window and thought I'd do something about
> it before/rather than filing a bug report....  From the trace below,
> it seems like Fdelq is called, followed by a process_pending_signals
> and some redisplay, which probably crashes because the window has been
> half-deleted.

IIUC it was about to delete a single-window frame

> 30  org.gnu.AquamacsEmacs          0x0000000100018d9e delete_frame + 474
(frame.c:1474)

so the first question is whether there were other frames left at that
time.

> Would it be sensible in this case to add some BLOCK_INPUT statements
> to delete_window, or maybe SET_FRAME_GARBAGED?  (Sorry if this is a
> naive suggestion.)

The downside of BLOCK_INPUT is that it makes Emacs unresponsive in the
sense that you can't even see a garbled frame when something goes wrong.
But yes - some general advice on why, whether and how BLOCK_INPUT should
be used would be very welcome.

martin