Re: Case mapping of sharp s

From: grischka
Subject: Re: Case mapping of sharp s
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:48:47 +0100

> > By what factor is the non-BM search slower, as compared to the BM
> > search?
>
> I don't know exactly.  It depends on the length of searching
> string; longer the string is, the more BM search is faster
> than simple serach.  At least, when this code was active,
>   ;; (set-downcase-syntax  ?Ä ?i tbl)
>  ;; (set-upcase-syntax    ?I ?Ä tbl)
> there were complaints about the slowdown.

Actually I think there is something simply wrong with the simple
search, as it's much slower even for single chars (where bm doesn't
have any advantage) and additionally in some weird random fashion
it's again slower for backwards search, such as 14, 37, 66 ... 94
secs, where the bm takes 0.5 secs and simple forward constantly
~3.7 secs, all for isearch'ing one character in a 100Mb file.

--- grischka