Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 01:53:44 +0100

Hello Karl.

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>> Bazaar supports quite a few models and can be confusing for those who
>> only know the centralized paradigm. IMHO the documentation should
>> recommend a model for beginners and give very detailed instructions for
>> it (maybe already does, I didn't read it).
>
> It does.  See
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs#RegularContributors
>
> (I'm sure it could be improved, of course.)

Some random comments.

For large compiled projects such as Emacs, the use of feature branches
is not that great. First, building takes a long time. Second, it imposes
a large penalty on those who just want to hack some elisp. On my private
work I'm on a similar scenario and don't know how to solve this. Maybe a
system based on `bzr switch' is the solution for Emacs, although it is
not so simple to understand as feature branches. For the diehard CVS
users, beginning with a single work branch is the solution. `bzr shelve'
would help them, but if you are going to explain all that on the emacs
wiki page, maybe better write the most simplistic guide about getting a
working copy of Emacs and direct them to bazaar's GettingStarted.

The document says:

If you’re one of the Emacs maintainers, then you can just push it directly to
the upstream master:
      bzr push %%bzr+ssh://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/sources/emacs/trunk/%%

(what about the % symbols?)

it is worth noting that bzr can remember a default location for push,
pull, etc. So maybe something like this:

If you’re one of the Emacs maintainers, then you can just push it directly to
the upstream master:
      bzr push --remember bzr+ssh://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/sources/emacs/trunk/
The next time bzr will remember the URL and you will need only
      bzr push

Maybe `bzr info` is worth some attention too.

--
Óscar