Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 05:34:26 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Besides, you usually are interested on one or two branches,
>>> not on the whole repository.
>>
>> The time it takes to "bzr clone" a single branch from the Emacs
>> repository is many times larger than downloading the tarball containing
>> every single banch.
>
> Uh, I forgot how much `bzr branch' sucks for cloning large branches
> across the internet.

Just checked again:

address@hidden:~/dev/other/$ bzr init-repo bzr-emacs
address@hidden:~/dev/other/$ cd bzr-emacs
address@hidden:~/dev/other/bzr-emacs$ time bzr branch
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk
Branched 98737 revision(s).

real    22m59.636s
user    9m49.320s
sys     0m5.440s

then cloned another branch:

address@hidden:~/dev/other/bzr-emacs$ time bzr branch
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/multi-tty
Branched 77736 revision(s).

real    2m15.748s
user    0m8.280s
sys     0m1.010s

It could be much better, but it is not unreasonable for an operation
that you need to do only once.

The most frustrating part of the cloning process is that the progress
info that bzr gives is pretty much useless, so the user has no clue
about how much time it will take.

I used bzr 2.0 on Kubuntu 9.10 x86_64, with an Intel Q6600 CPU 2.4 GHz,
8 GB RAM, ADSL 6 Mb/s (max download speed ~ 620 KB/s), ext3 filesystem,
python 2.6.4.

bzr dowloaded approx. 260 MB of data and took 10 minutes of CPU time for
the first clone using just a little bit more than 1 GB of RAM.

What took a really long time for such a simple operation was

address@hidden:~/dev/other/bzr-emacs$ time bzr branches
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs
Boehm-GC

Boehm-versions

DAVELOVE

EMACS_21_1_RC

EMACS_22_BASE

EMACS_23_1_RC

FLYSPELL

ILYA

NewVC-fileset
URL
VENDOR
XFT_JHD_BRANCH
branch-5_8
cedet-branch
custom_themes
emacs-bidi
emacs-unicode
emacs-unicode-2
font-backend
fx-branch
gerd_big
gerd_dbe
gerd_defvaralias
glibc-2_0_x
gnus-5_10-branch
lexbind
master-UNNAMED-BRANCH
multi-tty
patches_21_0
rmail-mbox-branch
test2
trunk
ttn-vms-21-2-stash
ttn-vms-21-3-stash
unicode-xft

real    5m19.574s
user    0m1.290s
sys     0m0.070s

BTW, there is quite a bit of junk there. Including all that stuff on a
tarball can confuse newcomers, or at least force them to do some work
cleaning their local repository.

--
Óscar