Re: Defcustoms, how do users find them?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Defcustoms, how do users find them?
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 03:22:51 +0100

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> So it ends up increasing Emacs's footprint by a bit less than
>>> a megabyte.  It's not the end of the world, but it might be worthwhile
>>> trying to avoid loading this data unless it's really needed.
>> The easiest seems to be to split cus-load.el in two part and only load
>> this extra part in C-h v etc.
>
> I think C-h v, C-h f and very common operations which most of the time
> do not need this info, so I'd like to avoid eating up 1MB just for that.
>
>>> Of course, maybe there's a way to represent the same info
>>> more compactly
>> I doubt it is possible, but I do not understand all the figures.
>> Does it help to erase the data again after C-h v?
>
> Erasing the data after use might be a way around the problem.
> Note that in the form in which you currently store the data (Customize
> symbol properties), it's difficult to unload it.

Maybe load this data only when needed and erase them always afterwards.

What is the problem with erasing the data? It is just a simple loop
erasing it all, or?

> If you additionally split the data (e.g. based on the first letter),
> you'd end up only loading a tenth of the data at a time, which would
> seem a lot more reasonable.

Aren't these data only needed in custom operations? Then just
frequent. They are not more frequent than commands if flag them and
erase them at command level. And a 0.1 seconds delay for certain
commands that either load libraries or are meant as information
commands is not very much.