Re: Making the tarball with bzr data

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Making the tarball with bzr data
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:27:00 +0100

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> In any case you need to get the official emacs bazaar repository
>>> first.
>>

>> Thanks grischka. I believe you, but this seems just crazy to me.
>
> Why?

Why do I have to copy the files? Why can't this setup be done with the
already existing files?

>> What are the reasons for this limitation?
>
> How is that a limitation?
>
> Let me guess. You are thinking on the CVS checkout you have with all
> those patches for EmacsW32, right?

Partly, but there is another problem. I thought I would get some help
with that since there are some helpful guys here who can teach me a
bit. Maybe I should tell you that problem...

I have put my little elisp library nXhtml at Launchpad so you can
download it with bzr. However a lot of people already have nXhtml
installed, but it was not checked out from Launchpad. It came from a
zip file or similar.

Now I believed that since bzr is a new modern system it would of
course have thought of that kind of situation. I am a bad manual
reader so I had probably just not understod how to do it... - it is of
course possible to update the files using only bzr. That was my
believe.

Maybe my believe is crazy. Maybe this should not be possible for some
reason. But I do not understand why.

> Well, a brute force solution is to setup your personal bzr Emacs branch
> and then simply copy everything from your CVS checkout over the bzr
> branch, or in Windows parlance, copy the contents of the folder
> lennarts_CVS_checkout over lennarts_bzr_branch, overwriting
> everythin. You can remove the CVS directories on the bzr branch, as they
> would be useless once the switch at Savannah is complete.

I am grateful for the explanations you and others have given for this.
I am just surprised that I have to copy the files. It certainly makes
the process slower in several ways. I have to do more. And there will
be more network traffic etc.

> It is a pity that you had no bzr at the time when EmacsW32 was started:
> you could keep a clean history of the applied patches and publish the
> branch on something like launchpad or from your webserver. At least, you
> can start taking advantage from bzr since now: instead of having a
> checkout with lots of patched files, once you copy them over the bzr
> branch commit the changes:
>
> bzr commit -m "All modifications I have so far"
>
> Since this, for applying a new patch:
>
> bzr commit -m "Fixes foo"

Thanks.

> Speaking as somebody who is interested on your modifications, it would
> be great if you could start from a pristine Emacs working tree and
> commit one patch at a time, with a descriptive commit message, then
> publish the branch :-)

I will think about it ;-)