Re: Emacs for new users

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Emacs for new users
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 01:02:45 +0200

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:43:00 +0900 (JST), Renaud Casenave-Péré <address@hidden>
wrote:
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Emacs for new users
> Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:10:53 -0500
>
>> Maybe we should have an "Emacs command immersion mode"
>> which disables all mouse clicks.
>
> `emacs -nw' ?

That's a very good point!  At least it worked for me.  I learned a far
greater number of key bindings *after* I started using text frames.  The
lasting effects of using "emacs -nw" were especially manifest after a
couple of years of Gnus usage inside xterm + screen windows.

I don't necessarily recommend "emacs -nw" sessions for _new_ users, but
it really did help me learn many of the standard key bindings during my
own intermediate period between "newbie Emacs user" and "using Emacs to
do almost everything, including IRC, email, programming and what not".