Re: log format for vc-bzr

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: log format for vc-bzr
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 21:29:01 +0100

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> There is nothing wrong with that, but do that only in your private local
> branch and don't publish those junk commits.  They carry no value.

What about the example I posted before? With the recommended distributed
workflow, you are going to *double* the history length with redundant
entries:

1343 Fixed bug #2423  (merge)
1343.1 Fixed bug #2423 (original commit)

Isn't that junk?

And I insist on my question: if the history is useful to me, shall I
throw it away because it means nothing for others, so the next time
someone complains about a bug on that feature I lost the record about
the making of the feature?

If you set a policy forcing a CVS-like history, go ahead. Otherwise,
please don't worry about the usefulness of the history that comes from
other's merged changes, and which is hidden by default. Is as if you
want a carpet that is nicely crafted on both sides.

--
Óscar