Re: support for bzr shelve/unshelve in vc-dir

From: Martin Pool
Subject: Re: support for bzr shelve/unshelve in vc-dir
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 04:19:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 22:46:46 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> We talked about texinfo documentation at the time of accession to GNU.
>> I understand the value in having every GNU program consistent but
>> texinfo is not very technically easy given our platform and the
>> technical environment of 2009, and in my opinion not a good use of
>> time.
>
> I have no idea what you're referring to.  We all know that Texinfo is
> not as sexy as HTML and has its share of shortcomings, but it does its
> job fairly well and has several features still mostly unmatched by any
> other format (especially when accessed via an Info viewer such as the
> one in Emacs).

We've talked about this before, including in the bazaar list thread
"Printable Documentation" in January this year, and in <https://
bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/219334> (filed by Stefan.)  Let's
discuss the practicalities in that bug not on the emacs list.

> I think the question shouldn't be "should we do provide Texinfo", but
> "how are we going to do it".

I agree we should, it is just a question of someone getting around to
doing the research and making a patch.  Regardless of GNU-ness, there are
people who find it convenient to read their documentation inside Info and
we'd like to help them.

--
Martin