Re: [23.1.50] C-y not processed immediately on a terminal

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [23.1.50] C-y not processed immediately on a terminal
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 18:36:17 +0900

Yoshiaki Kasahara <address@hidden> writes:
>> For several months I felt annoying that Emacs on a terminal (emacs
>> -nw) ignored "C-y" until next key input. Even C-q C-y is not processed
>> immediately ("^Y" doesn't show up on the screen) until I type another
>> key. I tried from C-a to C-z, and only C-y was affected. It occured
>> with emacs -Q -nw.
>
> Also I noticed that when I typed "C-y 1", halfwidth ア was inserted
> into the buffer. So I guess C-y is treated as a prefix of halfwidth
> katakana.

What's LANG (etc) set to?

If I do:

    LANG=ja_JP.euc-jp emacs -Q -nw

then I see your problem.

But if I do:

   LANG=ja_JP.utf8 emacs -Q -nw

(or, LANG=C, or LANG=ja_JP.shift_jis, etc)

There's no problem.

So I'd guess your keyboard-coding-system is set to something which
interprets C-y (you can turn it off using "C-x m k").

-Miles

--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.