Re: i18n/l10n

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: i18n/l10n
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:51:00 -0500

> Successful results would be reported to the emacs-devel list for
> show that it is possible to use the conventional method of GNU
> Gettext for the sake of an Emacs available in any language and
> so they can integrate this feature in a future version of the program.

I very much welcome any effort to try to do i18n for Emacs.  I must say
I find this to be an enormous effort, since it's not just translation
but also figuring out where and how to draw the line between UI and
implementation (since most of the internal details are made directly
visible in the UI via M-x, docstrings and things like that).

I encourage you to work closely with emacs-devel, making your code
available as a Bzr branch, for example, and trying to get patches
installed in the Emacs trunk as soon as they stabilize.

        Stefan