Re: Function to insert a key sequence

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: Function to insert a key sequence
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 14:34:08 +0100

2009/12/25 Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Deniz Dogan <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Attached is a little function for inserting a key sequence entered by
>> the user into the current buffer. I don't know if it fits into any
>> existing Emacs library, but I find it quite useful, so I thought I'd
>> just throw it out there.
>

> When do you find it useful? I think there are some a bit similar
> functionality in the  key-sequence widget - at least in the version I
> have in ourcomments-widgets.el.
>

> If it is not deemed to be interesting enough for most Emacs users you
> could perhaps put it on EmacsWiki where other users can find it?

Now that I think of it, maybe it's not all that useful after all. I
just thought it could be of some help when binding keys using `kbd',
to make sure the string argument is correctly formatted.

I personally could use it in conversations in #emacs when trying to
explain example uses of keybindings, especially when entering macros.
Example: C-x ( M-m C-SPC M-f M-f M-b C-w C-e SPC C-y DEL C-n C-x )
(This particular macro would move the first word of the current line
to the end of the line and then move one line down.)

Needless to say the function definition could be improved further by
echoing the input as the user enters it.

--
Deniz Dogan