Re: Autoload from a web page?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Autoload from a web page?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 04:24:24 +0100

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>    Would it be possible to setup a function to download an elisp file
>    from a web page when called and then evaluate that file and call
>    itself again (with the old parameters), now with the new definition
>    from the web page?
>
> It must be possible, but we should warn people not to take the risk
> of doing this.

Hm, yes. I have tested a bit. Technically it can be done this way in
Emacs. You can, with some tweaks, setup to autoload a function from
the web.

It would perhaps be quite easy to distribute (and/or update) parts of
Emacs and/or external packages this way.

But the risk is about doing this in an uncontrolled way. A lot of sw
is updated in a similar way today (in a way that tries to control the
risks).