Re: Quotes in Dired listing switches

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Quotes in Dired listing switches
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:29:32 +0200

> In tramp.el, I've added quoting of the "'" character in SWITCHES, passed
> by `insert-directory', which shall be sufficient.

Thanks, Tramp doesn't hang now.

> However, remote directory listings won't show a "thousands separator of
> the current locale", because Tramps sets LC_ALL to "C" on the remote
> hosts. The C locale has no thousands separator. If you (Juri) want to
> change this, you might customize `tramp-remote-process-environment',
> setting LC_ALL to en_US.UTF-8 or so. But please be careful, because
> Tramp reads output from some commands, and might expect English.

Yes, this helps to show a thousands separator, and also to display
non-ASCII characters in file names!  IMHO, it's a drawback that currently
Tramp doesn't support Unicode in Dired file names by default.

Is it possible to improve Tramp to set LC_ALL to "C" only for commands
where Tramp expects English?  Or just to set LC_MESSAGES to "C" if Tramp
expects only English messages?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/