Re: Strange message from "bzr pull"

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Strange message from "bzr pull"
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 06:15:42 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Distributed version control is about exchanging revisions. You need a
>> way to know what revisions you are missing from some other branch, and a
>> way to know how the revisions are arranged. Those unique revision-ids
>> are the solution.
>
> But that makes sense only for branches bounded to remote repositories,
> right?  For my own local branches, there's nothing interesting in this
> information.

revision-ids are unnecessary for bound branches (after all, a bound
branch is just a bit more than a local cache for the remote branch).

A revision can reach a branch on a variety of ways, coming from
different sources (a DVCS exchange network is fully point to point, it
is not restricted to a star topology, although emacs is doing that
currently) If you receive the same revision from two or more different
sources, it is fundamental to notice that it is the same revision.

BTW, there is not much difference among you having N local branches and
N developers having a single branch each. Revision-ids are required for
your own branches.

--
Óscar