Re: run-with-idle-timer, post-command-hook and self-insert-command do no

From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong
Subject: Re: run-with-idle-timer, post-command-hook and self-insert-command do not play nice in Cocoa port
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 03:22:51 -0500

So... are there any Cocoa Emacs hackers know what this is?

On 12/25/09 12:50 AM, Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong wrote:
Hi,

I'm using the GIT HEAD of Emacs' Cocoa port on MacOSX 10.5.8 PPC and GIT
HEAD of AutoComplete <http://github.com/m2ym/auto-complete>. The problem
I'm having is that the point in the Cocoa port doesn't return
immediately after typing and a post-command-hook has fired off a
function to be run with an idle timer. Supposedly AutoComplete should be
a whole lot faster with the new timer-based completion trigger in HEAD,
but this bug in the Cocoa port seems to be preventing that. I've tested
this with Emacs 22.3 in the terminal and CarbonEmacs 22.3 and both has
the cursor return immediately. I'm guessing something in the NS code
that deals with the point render is waiting on the idle timer thread
instead of having both threads running asynchronously?

Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong