Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:46:10 +0100

> Let's suppose I want to create a local post-23.2 branch where I do
> want to commit small changes to install on the trunk post-release. I
> don't want to be forced to create a task branch for every one of them,
> because they are small changes, and a new branch implies having to
> bootstrap[1] anew. So I'd like to accumulate the changes into a single
> branch.
> Once the trunk is open again, what would be the procedure to install
> the changes? Obviously not "bzr merge ../post-23.2", because that
> would create a single [merge] commit. Will I be forced to repeat "bzr
> log" and "bzr merge --revision=REVID ../post-23.2" for each change?
> That seems a bit cumbersome. Is there any way to simplify it? Perhaps
> a plugin?

*IF* they are small changes, i.e., the sort of things that you would do
on the quickfixes branch, *AND* if you didn't merge with trunk, this
should work keeping the history nice:

bzr commit
bzr commit
<when post-release arrives>:
bzr rebase
bzr push

The resulting history on upstream will be linear, as if you committed
each change one by one on top of the previous one.