Re: log format for vc-bzr

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: log format for vc-bzr
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:52:54 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:24:29 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 13:01, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, but isn't this in the direction that is opposite of the one
> > for which it was suggested?  I though you are supposed to use it
> > _on_the_trunk_, after merging from a branch.  But you seem to show it
> > in the other direction, which confuses this issue even more, at least
> > for me.
>
> I don't know what in my message (other than my usual clarity or lack
> of it) makes you think that.

You ran "bzr status" in the trunk, that's why.  Sorry.

> > So its effect is similar to that of rebasing?
>
> Humm, no. Leaving aside uncommited changes, conflicts, etc., rebase
> un-applies some commits, updates the branch, and reapplies these
> commits as if they were new. "revert --pending-changes" is done on a
> branch that has just been the target of a merge, and affects changes
> that have not yet been committed.

But isn't the effect on the resulting revision DAG very similar?

> > But the issue at hand was how to hide personal comments in the commit
> > messages, not how to hide some of the intermediate changes.  Why would
> > I want to do the latter?
>
> Sorry, I don't follow what do you mean with "personal comments" vs.
> "intermediate changes". I think Óscar meant that you have a branch
> with several commits, some of them meaningful, some of them of the
> "gone to lunch" variety, some reverting previous changes, etc.

Yes, I see that now, but if ttn called that ``personal junk'', then I
cannot disagree more.  That's the history of my work; I don't see how
someone could object to having it in the public repository.  Without
it, some changes, such as inadvertent merge mistakes, can never be
investigated and will remain a mystery forever.

I do understand that "revert --forget-merges" is one way of hiding
some of my changes from the public eye.  But I don't see any
compelling use-case for that, except some marginal situations.  OTOH,
my bzr experience with local branches is so short that my opinions
probably don't matter much. ;-)

Thanks.