Massive "bzr update"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Massive "bzr update"
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:17:50 +0200

I just resync'ed with the repository, and bzr again pulled almost
200MB through the wire.  It took 21 minutes.  I watched the CPU meter:
it stayed below 10% almost all the time, with a few peaks at 30%.  The
memory footprint went steadily up to 300MB, then stayed there for most
of the time; that is not too bad on my 1.5GB box.  So the only
bottleneck could be network throughput (pulling 200MB should take
around 15 minutes for my connection, which is a large portion of the
21 minutes it took).  But 3.5Mbps connection is not exactly a slow
one, so I don't expect weekly updates to be that slow.

The files it updated were just a few:

 M  doc/lispref/ChangeLog
 M  doc/lispref/control.texi
 M  doc/lispref/display.texi
 M  doc/lispref/os.texi
 M  doc/lispref/positions.texi
 M  doc/lispref/text.texi
 M  doc/lispref/variables.texi
 M  doc/misc/ChangeLog
 M  doc/misc/calc.texi
 M  doc/misc/gnus.texi
 M  lisp/ChangeLog
 M  lisp/font-setting.el
 M  lisp/gnus/ChangeLog
 M  lisp/gnus/gnus-art.el
 M  lisp/gnus/gnus-sum.el
 M  lisp/gnus/gnus-util.el
 M  lisp/gnus/message.el
 M  lisp/international/fontset.el
 M  lisp/language/indian.el
 M  lisp/progmodes/python.el
 M  lisp/vc-bzr.el
 M  lisp/vc-dir.el
 M  src/ChangeLog
 M  src/dbusbind.c
 M  src/font.c
 M  src/font.h
 M  src/fontset.c
 M  src/gtkutil.c
 M  src/keyboard.c
 M  src/nsfns.m
 M  src/xftfont.c
 M  src/xterm.c

My previous "bzr up" was 6 days ago.  I'm used to update my tree once
a week, because I only have time to work on Emacs on weekends.  Is
this massive and slow update something I should look forward to, until
Savannah admins enable bzr+ssh?  Or is this again something
``exceptional'', like the problem we had last week?

For comparison, a "cvs up" would take about 1/10 of that time, even
though my CVS tree was checked-out with -kb (to avoid EOL
conversions), so it would send entire files downstream instead just
the patches.