Re: emacs fails to build -- XRenderQueryExtension undefined

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: emacs fails to build -- XRenderQueryExtension undefined
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:54:21 +0900

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
>> I worked around it with the following patch, though it's probably not
>> exactly the right fix...
>
> What system are you on?  How did you configure Emacs?
> If Xft requires Xrender at link time it should say so in the pkg-config
> output.  Normally on GNU/Linux, -Xrender is a private dependency,

It only says so in the pkg-config output if you specify --static
(otherwise, I think that since it's a "private" dependency of libxft.so,
it uses libxft.so's dependencies to load the library at runtime, but the
linker won't see it):

   $ pkg-config --libs xft
   -lXft
   $ pkg-config --libs --static xft
   -lXft -lXrender -lfontconfig -lexpat -lfreetype -lz -lX11 -lpthread -lxcb
-lXau -lXdmcp

The problem, as far as I can tell, seems to be that there's an explicit
reference to XRenderQueryExtension in src/xftfont.c (src/xftfont.c:365),
so Emacs itself needs to link against -lXrender, it can't rely on the
the fact that libxft uses it.

I dunno if there's some system change that exposed this issue recently;
the relevant Emacs change seems to be a bit old -- vc annotate says:

f602b732 src/xftfont.c (YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu 2009-05-11 09:29:49 +0000 365)
XRenderQueryExtension (display, &event_base, &error_base);

[Note, I don't know the details of how this stuff works really, but I
think the above is roughly correct.]

-Miles

--
Monday, n. In Christian countries, the day after the baseball game.