Re: bug spam

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug spam
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:23:04 -0500

> Why can't we?

Don't know that we can't.  I just don't know enough about how it works,
but I presumed that it's only setup to work for mailing lists @gnu.org.

An "easy" solution would be to add yet more forwarding hoops:

address@hidden and address@hidden would first be sent
over to address@hidden where we use GNU's listhelper
moderation and that list would have a single subscriber which is the real
"address@hidden" (which later on re-forwards to the subscribers
of address@hidden

> But IIUC, that just runs SpamAssassin to discard obvious spam via
> automatic replies to Mailman moderation messages,

That sounds backward: it would make a lot more sense (efficiencywise and
codingwise) to pass the emails through spamassassin before handing them
over to Mailman.

But the main point is that it's not just SpamAssassin: it uses a set of
human moderator-volunteers, and they get to share acceptance/rejection
rules across all lists.

The current debbugs moderation is pretty taxing in human time, because
of the enormous amount of spam that it gets.

        Stefan