Re: commit style redux

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: commit style redux
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:00:09 -0500

[replying to old message]

Miles Bader wrote:

>  (3) Don't phrase log messages assuming the filename is known, because
>      in non-file-oriented systems (everything modern other than CVS),
>      the log listing tends to be treated as global information, and the
>      connection with specific files is less explicit.

I use M-x log-edit-insert-changelog to auto-populate the vc-log buffer
from my ChangeLog entries. Is this doing the right thing, or does Emacs
need to be changed?

It creates log entries like this:

  * cedet/ede/cpp-root.el (ede-cpp-root-project): Foo

  * srecode/doc-cpp.srt, srecode/doc-default.srt: Bar

  * ede.texi (ede-target):
  * org.texi (Refiling notes): Qux

The paths are relative to where each ChangeLog file is, rather than
relative to the root of the project. If there are two files with the
same basename in different subdirectories, things might get ambiguous.