Re: Unable to close a bug in the tracker.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Unable to close a bug in the tracker.
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:06:20 +0900

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
> Please note that not only the developers interact with the bug
> tracker. A user could be interested in closing a bug he previously
> reported, or add a commentary to other report. Finally, not everyone has
> mail access from Emacs.
>
> The Version Control system must be tailored to developers. The bug
> tracker shall be accessible to users as well.

Sure, but note that

(1) This is only true of some operations -- users very often _open_
     bugs, or give further comment, but other operations are almost
     always done by devs

(2) How convenient a particular interface (web / emacs / generic email)
     is depends on the operation -- commenting on a bug you're already
     following (for instance, if you submitted it in the first place, or
     are a dev working on it) for instance, is usually far more
     convenient via email, even for people that generally prefer web
     interfaces (because they can just hit "reply" in their mail reader)

So I think while a good web interface is important for some operations,
it really isn't critical to have one for _all_ operations.  Hopefully
that makes the problem a bit easier...

-Miles

--
Custard, n. A vile concoction produced by a malevolent conspiracy of the hen,
the cow, and the cook.