Re: merge conlict?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: merge conlict?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:48:49 +0100

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Unless you take the "technically" part as "no code was lost", I beg to
>> differ. A simple `bzr log' will show that the commits of the last few
>> days are gone from the listing. You need to add the `-n2' parameter to
>> see them as merged history under Mark's commit.
>
> That's only a UI problem.

A UI problem can be very serious. This one is.

>  There is nothing lost in terms of history.

Right, but the history now is confusing: seems like a number of
revisions for several people came from Mark's branch.

>> Oh, and apart from this problem and producing a huge diff, it breaks
>> bisection.
>
> How?

While bisecting the DAG, either you remain on the left-most part, and
then those revisions are ignored, or traverse the merged history too,
and then you take into account lots of revisions which were intermediate
local points on the development of some feature.

Think how this affects to "find the revision that broke the build."