Re: New branch

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: New branch
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:41:10 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> That could be, tho I haven't thought much about it yet.
> But note that in the context of Bzr, those questions don't have the same
> importance&meaning as within CVS.  After all, creating a branch is
> nothing else than cloning, so initially the new branch is absolutely
> identical to the "parent".

This is correct. But you have to think too about the branches out there
that are pointing to upstream branches...

> I expect at some point we'll do something like:
>
>   (cd pending; bzr merge ../trunk; bzr commit)
>   mv trunk emacs-23.2
>   mv pending trunk
>
> or maybe
>
>   bzr clone trunk emacs-23.2
>   (cd trunk; bzr merge ../pending; bzr commit)
>   rm -rf pending

... for the people that at that time have branches of `trunk' and
`pending', if they do not adjust their reference branches to match the
change, they can get confused: the lesser problem is the disappearance
of `pending', which it is just an annoyance, but `trunk' suddendly
taking the role of the former `pending' branch can be a bit disturbing,
as you are switching roles, and if someone does not notice it, he can
commit to the "new" `trunk' something intended for the "old" trunk.

I don't know if Emacs hackers are up to date enough with notices on the
ml to be aware of the transition.

In any case, people would have to do a bit of housekeeping when you
rename a branch.

In the future, I suggest creating branches with a name that conveys its
purpose (trunk can be the perennial development branch, then we would
have `emacs-XX.X', etc) and keep those names forever. This requires
almost no housekeeping on the developers part, except for cloning
emacs-XX.X when it is created, which is much simpler than adjusting
branch references.