Re: visual-line-mode tweaks

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode tweaks
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 16:48:30 +0200

* 2010-02-03 09:23 (-0500), Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> (1) Maybe visual-line-mode should turn off auto-fill-mode -- it's
>> annoying to have your lines truncated physically when editing a file
>> that intentionally uses a line-per-paragraph, and it's very common
>> for auto-fill mode to be turned on by default.

> I'm not completely opposed to it, but I'm not sure how we could do it
> in a way that wouldn't be annoying in one case or another. So if you
> propose a patch, maybe I would accept it.

It think the user interface is clearer when minor modes don't turn
others off. I always have visual-line-mode and auto-fill-mode turned on
when I'm writing email and news messages, that is, with message-mode. I
don't write long lines but want to have kill-visual-line (C-k) and
end-of-visual-line (C-e) available.