Re: emacs-w3m?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:10:49 +0100

> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
>  > There's also the bzr-diffstat plugin, which shows a bit more about the
>  > uncommitted changes than "bzr status".
>
> diffstats are nice for VCS geeks, but what Robert needed to know was
> just the files.
>
> I've updated BzrForEmacsDevs.  I ended up adding a bzr status before
> each commit in each sample workflow; this may be too obtrusive, feel
> free to edit.  I couldn't see any good way to ensure that readers would
> always notice the "vcs means never having to say you're sorry, but
> ..." blurb at the top.
>
> I'll take a look at the QuickStart document after dinner.

This is about basic VC usage here. The QuickStart is not intended to
teach the basic rules of a VC system (nor the BzrForEmacsDevs document
intends that, I think) This was about teaching Emacs hackers with a long
CVS experience how to switch to Bazaar. I'm sure that doing a blind
commit was deemed as an unaceptable practice on the CVS days too, and
the checks are similar (`diff'). So making the documents more
verbose/tedious for covering this case is not necessary, IMHO.

But I see that you already edited the file. This looks confusing to me:

> Optionally, before doing ##bzr commit##, you can do ##bzr status## to
> view the changed and unknown files which will be committed."

it can be interpreted as if `bzr commit' will commit unknown files. And
then this:

> Typically unknown files are newly added. In
> order to track changes in them, use the ##bzr add## command and then
> commit them:
> * ##bzr add new-file ...##
> * ##bzr commit new-file ...##

may be read as recommending that the procedure for tracking a new file
is adding it and committing, instead of including it on the commit of
the rest of edited files.

And no, I don't want to waste my time editing wikis anymore, so feel
free to ignore the comments above.