[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

AW: Fwd: CEDET sync

From: Berndl, Klaus
Subject: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:58:00 +0100

>From my point of view which is also ECBs point of view:

Supporting not only Emacs but also Xemacs should be a value upheld be tools 
like CEDET and ECB, even when merged into Emacs. But cause of some really heavy 
incompatibilities between these both flavors of Emacs it is a smart move to 
decide where to invest the main power (of development). And IMHO a) GNU Emacs 
has high potential future (just compare the different traffic on the both 
development mailing lists) whereas b) Xemacs is headed south (again IMHO) and 
will be of little importance for software development - but a) one only if it 
(Emacs) goes the way towards a really Integrated development environment (IDE) 
- for this a stable backbone like CEDET is essetial and also essential that 
this backbone is a stable part of Emacs.

Eric, please do not wait with CEDET 1.0 release until thew cows come 
home...IMHO CEDET 1.0 should have been released month (or even years) ago... 
Push it out and that's it. Then please merge the two code bases as soon as 
possible and factorize out all Xemacs-compatibility stuff into some separated 
libraries like cedet-xemacs-support.el. I have decided to this for my ECB to 
make a clear code-basis for the main development direction (which is Emacs). So 
on one hand CEDET will have a unique code-structure and can be evolved easily 
even with two repositories (Emacs and CEDET-project) and you can uphold the 
Xemacs-compatibility by just maintaining the "cedet-xemacs-support.el"...

For a tool like ECB it's a pain to support two different main interfaces for 
one external library. So i second Stefan and my vote for the priorities is: No 
further effort for CEDET 1.0 but all effort into the merge. Many many many ... 
many thanks in advance from me!

Best Regards

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden Im Auftrag von Eric M. Ludlam
Gesendet: Montag, 1. März 2010 23:43
An: Stefan Monnier
Cc: Chong Yidong; Lluís; address@hidden
Betreff: Re: Fwd: CEDET sync

On 03/01/2010 04:27 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> Questions are:
>>> 1) is anybody already doing such a sync?
>>> 2) if not, from which date should I start synchronizing changes?
>>> I'm not fully aware of which extra changes are required for the 
>>> synchronization
>>> (except for the long name ->  subdirectory fix), so directions will be much
>>> appreciated.
>> I planned to do a sync after the Emacs 23.2 release branch is made, but
>> you are welcome to do it if you like.
> I really don't like that smell.  We need to make sure the two code-bases
> evolve in-sync, which won't work as long as we keep "gratuitous"
> differences between the two (file names and things like that).
> I thought Eric was to incorporate most/all of the changes we made into
> his version.  If this doesn't take place real soon, it'll become much
> too painful to maintain.

Indeed, that is my plan.  I fear the big merge will make it harder to 
support older Emacsen and XEmacs, so I wanted to get some sort of stable 
release out that can finalize that style of CEDET.  It's just been slow. 
  Since I don't have a feature freeze or anything, CEDET keeps getting a 
little better over time, almost without me, while I've been getting test 
suites up and running against various Emacs flavors.

My hope is that this last release I did shows few build/compatibility 
problems and I can easily just post the last release on CVS, then move 
on.  Last year issues and patches kept coming for a couple months.  It's 
been much slower this time around.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]