Re: Integrating package.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 07:38:48 -0600

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 22:37:43 +0100 Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden> wrote:

JB> 2010/3/1 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:
>> OK.  But I still think Emacs should record the version as I suggested
>> whenever it finds it in a .el/.elc file.  It would help resolve many
>> annoying user-level bugs by showing exactly what version of the library
>> was loaded, not implied from the directory but directly from the version
>> header.

JB> The information you get like this at runtime is not reliable. Some people
JB> bump right after making a new release other develop for months keeping
JB> the version from the latest release.

JB> Rather this information should be extracted by the repository maintainers,
JB> They have the full history of the package (if available) and cat determine
JB> from that which of the many revision containing a particular version string,
JB> actually IS that version... (I have some slightly buggy code for this
JB> somewhere).

I don't think that's ideal either.  I'd rather use the authors' version
and then allow an override by the repository maintainer.  Otherwise
you'll certainly end up with different version levels between repos and
that's not a good scenario for the user.

The repo could associate a content hash with the version to generate a
unique identifier (and some insurance against corruption) for a
particular library snapshot.  I wonder if Emacs has a standard way to do
this (ignoring comments and whitespace).

Ted