Re: shouldn't `delete-blank-lines' treat form-feed as whitespace?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: shouldn't `delete-blank-lines' treat form-feed as whitespace?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:40:05 +0900

David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:
> While it's logically formally a whitespace class character, I'm quite
> unconvinced it would "feel right" to me.   formfeed is usually put in
> much more rarely and with more forethought than space/tab/newline.

Yes I agree -- the formfeed character, when it is used, is for document
structuring; it's not "whitespace" in the normal sense.

It's sort of like the next-level above newline in a hierarchy.

This suggests that perhaps there should be a command
`delete-blank-pages', which would delete pages containing only blank
lines (including the terminating formfeed).

[Drew, wouldn't the latter command address your use?]

-Miles

--
Arrest, v. Formally to detain one accused of unusualness.