Re: shouldn't `delete-blank-lines' treat form-feed as whitespace?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: shouldn't `delete-blank-lines' treat form-feed as whitespace?
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 14:08:21 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > How is the line-breaking property relevant to this function?  The doc
 > string says just "delete all surrounding blank lines".  It doesn't
 > mention line-breaking at all.  The question is, should a line
 > consisting only of NBSP characters be considered a blank line.

My understanding of the Unicode standard is that whitespace characters
are blanks.  Interestingly enough, however, in many cases they are
treated as non-blank characters that happen to be extremely
conservative of ink. :-)  Eg, one oftens see the "<TAG>&nbsp;</TAG>"
idiom in HTML (especially in TD elements).

Nevertheless, I think NBSP ought to be treated as a blank for the
purpose of `delete-blank-lines'.