Re: bidi branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi branch
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:46:04 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:45:57 -0500

> >> Right, so unless this is expected to be "real soon now", you might want
> >> to publish your branch in `emacs-bidi'.
> > Is that even possible?  `emacs-bidi' was branched from pre-22.1 Emacs,
> > while my development branch was branched from Emacs 23.1.  Wouldn't
> > merging them create some very messy history DAG?
>
> No need to merge them.  You can just "bzr push --overwrite .../emacs-bidi".

I prefer to merge with the trunk, unless you object.  Since the bidi
code is not run unless the user turns on a variable, I don't see any
reasons for a separate branch.  A separate branch complicates
logistics (for me, at least) and increases chances of a mistaken
commit.  It also exposes the modified code to fewer users.

As for reasons for not merging VSN, they will delay a separate branch
as well, since they are unrelated to the stability of the code.