Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:27:36 -0400

>> So enabling delete-selection-mode should not affect them.

>     delete-selection-mode is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in
>     `delsel.el'.

> [...]

>     When Delete Selection mode is enabled, Transient Mark mode is also
>     enabled and typed text replaces the selection if the selection is
>     active.  Otherwise, typed text is just inserted at point regardless
>     of any selection.

> So wrong on count #2 as well.

I take it for granted that if we enable something like
delete-selection-mode, we'll only make it do something when the region
is active, so people who turned t-m-m off will only be affected when
they do C-u C-x C-x or when they do C-SPC C-SPC to explicitly activate
the region (or when they select with the mouse).  In this sense, people
who turned off t-m-m pretty much won't be affected.

        Stefan